Sunday, February 7, 2010

Drake's Birth Story!

On Wednesday, February 3rd, I woke about 4am with back pain - something I had been having for almost a week at this point - and started to notice that it seemed to come and go. I started timing it and realized that it was coming every 5-6 minutes. Jason's alarm was going to go off at 5:30am so I continued to breathe through the pain until then. The contractions kept coming at about the same interval so he took a shower and then we decided I should call my doctor. at 6:30am, I talked to the on-call nurse. My doctor starts taking her own calls at 7:00am so we decided to wait until he could talk to her. At this point, we knew I would either be going to the hospital or the doctor's office, but I really didn't think I would be having my baby that day! While waiting for the return call, I took a shower, put some makeup on, and tried to eat a little breakfast. The nurse called back and said that the doctor thought it sounded like the beginning stages of labor. I was to continue monitoring it and go to the hospital if I couldn't walk/talk/breathe through the contractions or I could come in to the office at 11:30am when she would be in.

I spent the next hour doing a lot of walking (or pacing as Jason would call it) around the house. The pain seemed to keep coming every 5 minutes, but the intensity was picking up. I had a hard time deciding what to do - go to the hospital or wait it out and call back to my doctor's office when they start taking calls at 8:30am? By 8:00am, Jason thought we should go to the hospital. We arrived by 8:30am and they started monitoring the contractions and getting all the info necessary. I was contracting every 2-4 minutes! When the nurse at the hospital checked me (about 9:30am), I was dilated to 5cm and had a bulging bag! I couldn't believe it...I think this is really when it set in that I was going to have my baby!

They moved me to a labor and delivery room, my doctor came in to check me (5-6cm) and broke my water (10am). At 10:30am, I got an epidural - AAAHHH, relief! My back pain was completely gone! I think I had the perfect amount, my legs felt numb - kind of like the feeling you get when you have Novocaine at the dentist - but I could still move them. At 11:20am, I was dilated to 9.5cm! Almost time to push....

By noon, I was starting to feel some real pressure. The nurses checked again, and I was able to start pushing at 12:15pm! The pressure was the strangest feeling ever...something I don't think I'll ever forget. One thing I realized during labor is that I would really prefer that people didn't talk! There were two nurses (one was in training) so they were talking a lot and it was a little discouraging...saying things like, "He's moving down, but then going back up." DUH! I know this happens, but I really didn't want to hear it at the time. :-) They were also having a hard time because they couldn't see the contractions on the monitor and my stomach wasn't tightening, but I could really feel the pressure so I knew I was having them (good thing the epidural didn't take that pressure away).

My doctor arrived about 1:15pm and was wonderful! She encouraged me to push and all of a sudden his head was out! One more push and his shoulders and the rest of his body were out! Drake William Patterson was born at 1:37pm! They put him on my chest immediately, and I just remember asking if he was going to cry. lol! We hadn't heard it yet. They cleaned out his mouth and he let a good one out. :-) Jason cut the umbilical cord while he was on my chest. I couldn't believe I was holding MY baby!

The nurses took him away to weigh him - 7lbs 13oz, get his length - 19.5inches, do his Apgar tests - 8 and 9, and give him his Vitamin K shot, then we got to spend lots of time with our baby!


18 comments:

Lovers said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing, congrats to all 3 of you!

The Coach's Wife said...

Congrats! Amazing story and I am so happy for all of you!

Caroline said...

Congratulations once again! I hope that my delivery runs as smoothly as yours.
He is a gorgeous little boy, and I can't wait to hear more about him.

Nic said...

Congratulations, he is adorable! Wow, what an amazing birth story! Hope you are all doing well

twondra said...

Such a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing sweetie! Congrats!!!

Jill said...

Well that sounds like the most perfect labor story ever!!

K.M.L said...

Awwww...what a great story! Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

oh your birth sounds like it was so nice, i wish mine could have been more like that! congratulations!

Word Nerd said...

Sounds perfect. I'm just so happy for you both. Congratulations!

Bush Family said...

Very cool story, good job momma and Drake!

Erin said...

Way to go mommy! You did awesome :) Drake is gorgeous!

Ashley said...

Great birth story!!! I wish we lived closer together so McKenzie and Drake could be friends;)

Shelly said...

Wow....You had a wonderful birthing experience! Thanks for sharing.

just me, dawn said...

your story gives me hope since today at my 38w2d appt the OB proceeded to tell me your cervix is long and closed....but your 2/2 appt and then going into laor the next day gives me an example of what can happen, fingers crossed it does :)
your Drake is so very beautiful, thanks for sharing his story!!

Jill said...

Amber, it could not have gone more perfect, and you got your perfect little boy at the end! I am so happy for you, I don't know anyone else more deserving! He is so beautiful and perfect!

Jamie said...

Oh Amber! I am so glad he is here. Without a doubt he was worth the wait! You and Jason have started down an amazing road and I hope you enjoy every minute. I am so happy for all of you!!

Tonya said...

beautiful birth story! he is so handsome.

Beth said...

Congrats!! Glad to hear everything went well. I've been following you since your first IVF and I can't believe how fast your pregnancy went (i'm sure it didn't feel that way for you).