Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Push Present?!?!

Push Present -- what it is?

According to Wikipedia, a push present (also known as a "push gift" or "baby bauble") is a present a new father gives a new mother when she gives birth to their child. In practice, the present may be given before or after the birth, or even in the delivery room. The giving of push presents has grown in the United States in recent years.

The tradition of gift-giving to commemorate a birth has long roots in England and India. The term "push present" first appeared in a publication in 1992. In 2005, when the Southeast-United States jewelry chain Mayors marketed diamond earrings with the line "She delivered your first born, now give her twins." Fortunoff, a jewelry and gift chain store, established a push present registry in 2007.

There is, however, no evidence that the present was invented by the jewelry industry to sell more goods, and until recently it was passed on largely by word of mouth or peer pressure among both mothers and fathers. According to Linda Murray, the executive editor of BabyCenter.com, "It’s more and more an expectation of moms these days that they deserve something for bearing the burden for nine months, getting sick, ruining their body. The guilt really gets piled on." Other sources trace the development of the present to the increased assertiveness of women, allowing them to ask for a present more directly, or the increased involvement of the men in pregnancy, making them more informed of the pain and difficulties of pregnancy and labor.

A 2007 survey of over 30,000 respondents by BabyCenter.com found that 38% of new mothers received a push present, and 55% of pregnant mothers wanted one. About 40% of both groups claimed that the baby itself is already a present and did or do not wish an additional reward.

The trend has generated a backlash, as some couples dislike the implicit materialism of push presents, and would prefer increased help in chores or baby care, or save the money for the child's education.

So, my question is - Did you get or are you getting a push present? If so, what was it or will it be?

Obviously, baby Patterson is quite a blessing and miracle to us after five years of TTC. I would be completely happy not getting anything else at delivery except a healthy baby. But, there is always talk of the push present on babycenter.com so I'm wondering how many people actually get one. The other thing I am curious about is - Did you get or are you getting the father-to-be a special gift once the baby is born?

18 comments:

K.M.L said...

I am with you after ttc for 5+ years our baby was our gift. That was all my husband and I needed...I did get flowers from Mike while we were still in the hospital and a beautiful well thought out card/message inside. I also got him a card where I wrote a special message inside. I have heard that lots of women do get jewelry. I don't see the point of that, but that is just me! Our baby is our gift :)

Beth said...

I didn't get a push present. We definitely thought the baby was present enough for both of us!! That being said, two years later, I would still like some sort of jewelry that represents Jr. I haven't decided exactly what I want yet and if I want something seperate for each child I might have or something i could put each birth stone in.

Tonya said...

I got a gift after giving birth with all my kids but didn't know it had a name and I believe my husband didn't either! I did not give him a gift other than the baby :)

Xillary said...

I bought myself a coat online and told my hubby I was doing it for my reward. I didn't get him a present though...

Kim said...

I hadn't even heard of a push present until at least a few months after my son was born. But we talked about it and decided it was a great time to buy the diamond earrings I had always wanted. Kind of kill two birds with one stone (hee hee - stone) . . . anyway, I know think about my son and his birth and what that gift represents every time I wear my diamonds. I think it is totally up to you and your husband whether you do a gift, don't feel pressure from society. Also, I think the gift is typically for the mom because it represents her effort during the process of labor and delivery.

Word Nerd said...

I'm with you. Our baby is a gift in my book and I don't expect anything else. I think the whole concept is pretty materialistic.

just me, dawn said...

Great question. I am with the others in regards to I don't need a reward....but someday would like some sort of reminder of the pregnancy. J and I haven't discussed so I would be surprised, I haven't bought him anything.....but I am trying to plan something for valentine's day as I may be otherwise occupied and don't want to forget to recognize my love for J on that day :)

Flack Family said...

Jonathan bought me a journey diamond necklace...mine was a combo gift of a push present along with our anniversary.
It will be interesting to see if he does anything this time around with #2. If the baby is born in April...matching diamond earrings would be fun! :) I agree 100% that baby is the best gift you'll ever receive though!

Kate said...

I've never gotten a "push present". I do think he has often brought me flowers after a delivery. It's one of those things, that's nice. I mean, who doesn't like a gift, but, honestly, the baby is the greatest gift of all!

I'm with the others who mentioned that they'd like some kind of jewelry that represents each child. I'd like a necklace with each child's birth stone. But it doesn't mean any less to me to get it later down the road.

Cady said...

Joe was going to get me a push present, but Lucy came before he had picked something out. I'm going to get something with her birth stone in it, which would have been hard to get before she was born since she could have had either a Nov. or Dec. birthday.

Anonymous said...

Jim got me a ring with two December birth stones on it to symbolize her bday and his to begin and end the month. i thought it was really cool and thoughtful that he thought of that all on his own. She is gift enough for sure, but doing it all natural deserves some credit as well hahaha. Your furniture looks great and Addison told me to tell Baby P to get here already!!!!

Lucky Jones said...

The babies will be born smack dab in between my birthday and our anniversary. I told Josh not to get me 3 separate gifts, and combine all of the occasions into one gift. He got me a Tiffany ring for Christmas that is actually two interlocking rings.He is going to have engraved with the babies names and birthdate :) But I don't expect a particular "push present", my babies are present enough!

Anonymous said...

i would love to get my husband a nice gift but it cost us enough just to have this baby! in addition to that i haven't been able to work for two months PLUS we did big christmas presents this year. my husband did get me a small gift which he gave me at the baby shower though, i like to wear knee socks when i'm in the hospital and he got me about ten pairs.

~Angela said...

My "push present" was a mothers ring with her birth stone... you know the kind were you can add more :)

MLEastland said...

My husband gave me a second wedding band that matched the first one when our son was born. It was very sweet and special, nothing that I asked for, and I was completely surprised. He gave it to me about a week after we got home from the hospital. It was a welcome surprise at that point :)

sunflowerchilde said...

My answers would be no, no, and no. My husband and I don't really exchange gifts - well he usually gets me a Christmas present, and that's it. I usually don't get him anything because he doesn't want it. I like the idea of jewelry with the children's birthstones, but I don't like the idea of attaching a material possession to the actual birth. So no push present for me.

Anonymous said...

I got a single rose when Simeon was born, but I think that was it. We actually did something else (an idea given to us by friends)...Jason went out once our baby was born and bought the outfit he'd go home in. You've already done that, so I'd say..."Go Jason! Get her a gift:)"

Amy said...

I did not receive a gift from my husband by my mother in law bought me a necklace with each of my children which was a single stone which was their birth stone - Opal for my son for October and Garnet for my daughter for January. - Amy Remus