Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Working Mom? WAHM? SAHM? Part 2

You can read Part 1 from yesterday here

This spring, it felt like things kept happening that were leading me to a decision - church sermons, discussions with friends and then someone who was looking for care for her 2 year old son starting in August! I met with the mom and then we had them over for pizza so the boys could meet. Things went great and this seemed like the perfect scenario if I was going to stay home.

After taking a little more time to think about it and talk with the family, we decided to go for it. The father is a teacher which also meant that I could do just part-time in the summer - giving me some days with just my two kiddos and saving them on daycare while still having some consistency.

We told Alicia that Drake would be there through June 30th. This gave me about a month with just Colin at home which was wonderful. Here are a couple pictures from his last day.
 


Things changed a little on July 2nd when I got a message that the boy I planned on watching wasn't going to need care anymore. His momma has decided to stay home when his little sister arrives. As excited as I was for her, I wasn't sure what we were going to do.

The good news was that I noticed someone that was looking for before/after-school care for her twins starting in the fall. They live in our subdivision and the kids would go to the school less than a block from my house! She also needs care on the days they don't have school, but they have a sitter for the summer which is perfect. So, for the same income, I'll have them here in the morning, have the rest of the day with Drake and Colin, and then have them for an hour or so after school! I am SO excited!!

You may have also noticed that I couple of other opportunities have come up since we made the decision for me to stay home. I'm posting on two couponing/deal blogs - mommywantsfreebies.com (national site) and encouragehope.org (a local site), and I love it!

I NEVER thought I would want to be a stay-at-home mom. (Or, am I a work-at-home mom? lol!) It's amazing the things that can change with time or more knowledge. 

So, now that I have told my boss, another chapter of our life begins...


2 comments:

katery said...

sounds perfect! congrats on the new life!

Erin said...

So excited for you, Amber :)