Tuesday, June 8, 2010

4 Month Dr. Appointment

Drake was SO good yesterday! He slept 12 hours Sunday night until I got him up at 7am. He went down for a 2 hour nap at 9am, ate at 11am, and went down for a nap at 1pm. Unfortunately, I had to wake him up a little after 2pm to make his doctor's appointment.

We saw the nurse practitioner because we couldn't get in to the doctor, but I really liked her! His stats:

Weight - 12lbs 9.5oz (8th percentile) --- gained 2lbs exactly
Length - 24.25 inches (22nd percentile) - grew 1.75 inches

The NP said he was meeting all the developmental milestones and even saw him roll from his back to belly. And, he rolled from his belly to back for the first time on the exam table!

This was the first time I really had quite a few questions.

Formula/multi-vitamin - Drake has just transitioned to all formula so I wasn't sure if we needed to continue the multi-vitamin. We don't, so that's one less thing we need to remember. I was also curious about using the Sam's Club brand formula. She basically said it's up to us. Yea! We'll probably continue with Similac with the coupons we have and then switch to Sam's Club. It's SO much cheaper!!

Starting cereal/solids
- She said we can start whenever we are ready and definitely once he is consistently taking 32 ounces of formula every day. He's getting between 26 and 30 ounces right now. I'm not quite ready, and I don't think Drake needs it yet, so we'll be waiting a little longer.

Sunscreen
- Since we have a pool, I wanted to check with her on the use of sunscreen (even though we'll be keeping him covered as much as possible). She said that we shouldn't cover him head-to-toe in sunscreen until after 6 months old. And, I thought that the reasoning was interesting...it's mainly because they still can't control their temperature as well so they can overheat with too much sunscreen. She said we could put a little on his legs and arms if we wanted to. We have a hat and rash guard to match his swim trunks so I'm not too worried about the rest of his body. :-)

He had one oral vaccine and three shots again this time. This nurse wasn't quite as fast as the last one, but I was ready with his bottle right after the shots were given so he settled down quickly.
He took a short catnap when he got home and then his normal nightly routine - bath, bottle, and bed. He woke up at 1am to eat, but I think that was because he hadn't gotten his full ounces during the day. He's back at the sitter today so we'll see how he does. I can't wait to get home and snuggle this little guy!!

8 comments:

Triumph in Learning said...

AWW! Glad he had a good Appt:)

Sorry your little man had to get 3 shots, but it sounds like that went ok too. And I'm sure he needed them:)

Love the pics!! He's too Cute!!

Allison said...

Poor baby! Shots stink!

Elaine said...

Sounds like Drake is on a great routine! Doesn't it make life so much more enjoyable?!?! He is so cute!

Word Nerd said...

It sounds like he's doing really well. Interesting on the sunscreen - I've been wondering about that, too, and was going to ask at our 4-month appt. next week.

And no kidding on the price of formula!! I think I have some Similac coupons that you can have if you want since we're using Enfamil. Email me at ms.whammy@gmail.com if you're interested.

~C

Jill said...

Bless his heart...I hate shot days. Amelia goes to sleep soon after she gets them too, just wears her out. :)

He is such a cutie!

Tori & Justin said...

Oh poor little Drake! He is just growing so much. He is just so precious.

Anonymous said...

awwww, what a little guy, look at his chubby little thighs with band-aids!! louise had her four month last week too, the shots are so hard!

Ashley said...

Love the pics!! I wish Drake and Mckenzie could meet;) I'm sooo jealous of your 12 hour night;) Maybe she will do that ONE day!!!